(1.)Ace mechanic Kazu started the endeavor by removing the saddlebags and seat from the bike.
(2.)The rear wheel and brake assembly were removed from the bike.
(3.)It was then time for the rear fender and other saddlebag mounting hardware to be removed.
(4.)The OE swingarm was taken off and the bushings as well as pivot points were checked for wear and set aside to be used in the new swingarm.
(5.)The fluid was drained from the primary and the primary cover was then taken off.
(6.)The clutch, primary chain, and compensating sprocket were all removed to gain access to the inner primary.
(7.)The inner primary was then removed to gain access to the transmission sprocket.
(8.)Using our George's Garage specialty tool we successfully removed the transmission sprocket.
(9.)The new sprocket from Reno Cycle Worx on the left is smaller in diameter. We will compensate for that with a different size and width rear pulley
(10.)You could easily see the size difference between the new H-D -inch belt on the left and the old OE version on the right.
(11.)We then installed the new pulley with the Reno supplied spacer along with the new belt, and then reassembled the inner and outer primary.
(12.)The new swingarm from Reno Cycle Worx on the left showed that it could handle a much wider tire than the stock version on the right.
(13.)The wide swingarm was installed, tightened to factory specs and then the shocks were bolted up.
(14.)While we had the bike apart and in need of a wider rear wheel, we decided to upgrade to these Ride Wright 18 and 21-inch Fat Daddy wheels with Avon Tires.
(15.)With just one glance one can see just how much wider the new wheel and tire combination is.
(16.)The new rear wheel was mated to the Reno Cycle Worx swingarm and the new belt was fitted to the slim profile pulley provided in the kit.
(17.)The Reno Cycle Works wide fender was painted to match the bike then installed using the supplied hardware.
(18.)We had to shorten the lower saddlebag support rails 1/2-inch to compensate for the wider wheel and fender. Once that was done, we drilled 5/16-inch holes and installed them onto the bike.
(19.)The rear bumper support bracket in the Reno kit was installed inside of the rear fender and secured to the modified lower saddlebag support rails and we were done.
Extreme Wide Tire Kit
Nothing looks cooler lurking under the rear fender of a bagger than a 200mm tire. It adds to that meaty appearance the FL chassis has and adds to both the stability and performance of such a heavy bike. What plagues most wide tire kits is the amount of parts, specialty tools, and time it takes to do the conversion. Enter Reno Cycle Worx and it's Extreme Wide Tire Kit, which is an answer for the home mechanic who feels the need for some big rubber. We had an older '02 Electra Glide sitting around awaiting a few other upgrades, so we offered it up to Reno Cycle Works and they took us up on our fat tire proposal.
The Extreme Kit includes a replacement swingarm, a rear fender that accepts OE Harley-Davidson turn signals and taillight, an inner primary, a rear pulley with spacer, wheel spacers, bag brackets, fender spacers, -inch H-D carbon fiber belt, a transmission pulley with spacer, a primary gasket, as well as saddlebag and fender strut supports. The Reno kit does not require removal and replacement of the transmission mainshaft. This alone saves countless hours of installation time over most other wide tire conversions. The kit also requires no primary spacing and the saddlebags remain in their stock locations.
While we were gearing up for our wide tire installation on our '02 FLHT, we contacted Ride Wright Wheels and grabbed a set of its Fat Daddy wheels in a 18-inch rear coupled with a 21-inch front. Ride Wright also supplied us with a set of its new all-chrome floating rotors and wrapped them all up for us in Avon's best rubber. Once we had the bike, the Reno kit, and wheels finally in one location, we hiked it all over to Freedom Cycles in Anaheim, California for the install. In the hands of Freedom's ace mechanics, The Reno Cycle Worx Extreme Bagger 200 kit was installed in less than four hours, so a mere mortal in his or her garage could easily do it in a weekend.