Milwaukee (May 12, 2011) - The AMA Pro Racing Vance & Hines XR1200 series returns to action this weekend after a nearly two-month layoff at Northern California's Infineon Raceway for the West Coast Moto Jam May 14-15.
Among the story lines for round two of the series is the professional road racing debut of flat track star Sammy Halbert, the current points leader in the AMA Pro Harley-Davidson Insurance Flat Track Championship.
Halbert, who dominated the Flat Track season opener at Daytona Beach, FL in March by sweeping the short track double header, has posted strong finishes at the series' DuQuoin, IL and Salinas, CA, rounds to maintain his points lead as the series heads into a month-long break before the start of the Twins season at the Springfield Mile on Memorial Day weekend. Halbert will keeping his racing skills sharp during the hiatus by entering his first professional road race aboard an XR1200 fielded by HOG Racing and the Harley Owners Group.
To prepare for his XR1200 class debut, the Graham, WA, rider has attended several racing schools and track days to acquaint himself with the techniques of motorcycle road racing. "I know I'll have some catching up to do, but I'm hoping once it's race time, my competitive instincts will kick in and I'll be able to keep up," Halbert said.
Halbert joins 16 other riders who will grid up this weekend race, including fellow flat tracker-turned-road racer Joe Kopp and Daytona race winner Kyle Wyman. Sunday's 11-lap, 25-final kicks off at 12:30pm Pacific time.
Infineon Race Entry List:
- Joe Kopp (Latus Motors Racing)
- Sammy Halbert (HOG Racing)
- Steve Rapp (Parts Unlimited)
- Josh Chisum (Troy Lee Designs)
- Michael Morgan (Python Exhaust)
- Michael Corbino (RMR/Bruce Rossmeyer's Daytona Racing)
- Chase McFarland (Latus Motors Racing)
- Tyler O'Hara (GPBikeParts.com)
- Kyle Wyman (RMR/Bruce Rossmeyer's Daytona Racing)
- Michael Barnes (Drag Specialties)
- Chris Fillmore (RMR/Bruce Rossmeyer's Daytona Racing)
- Michael Beck (J&P Cycles)
- Paul James (James Gang/Hoban Brothers/H-D of Appleton)
- Gerry Signorelli (Kuryakyn)
- Bradley Adams (Sport Rider Magazine)
- Pete Demas (Route One Racing)
- Jeremiah Johnson (BE-EV.com, New Roc Harley-Davidson)
Harley-Davidson Motor Company produces heavyweight custom, cruiser and touring motorcycles
and offers a complete line of Harley-Davidson motorcycle parts, accessories, riding gear and apparel, and general merchandise. For more information, visit harley-davidson.com.